Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chard

Chard is a fairly simple & hugely rewarding plant to grow in South Jersey.  We direct sowed our chard in early March.  It does well in dappled-sun or some-shade beds.  We interplanted it with peas in some areas so that the trellising plant could aid in creating shade for chard leaves.


Aesthetically, I love the colors of this fabulous plant.  It always reminds me of a miniature rhubarb.  I'd love to do a cooler weather planting of chard and rhubarb with some bright reds-- maybe petunias?  Roses?  Photinia?-- for contrast.


And edible!  Edible landscapes are my fave.  The mix of edible leaves and flowers (edible flowers are a plus!) is rewarding and innovative.  As I gaze into the leafy depths I'm thinking poppies, calendula...  Visual refreshment, delicious meals, organic landscapes.  So much goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment