Thursday, May 9, 2013

Blur the lines between Garden & Home

As I track dirt in the house daily, the boundary between house and garden is becoming less distinct.  Honestly, I dig it.  I feel more invested in the land around and under me, more connected to the living system I'm a part of, and more at home even if there's no roof over head.  The garden, like my home, gives shelter.

Here are a few practices that help foster this sense of connection:

Re-Use E'erythang
Many folks know that you can clean your whole house with lemons, apple cider vinegar, & baking soda.  Lemons, specifically, remind me that I'm supporting my garden even if I'm cleaning indoors.  I LOVE lemons.  I start most days with fresh lemon juice & always squeeze fresh lemon over my spinach salads.  I leave the last dregs of the lemon & rind on the counter when I'm done preparing my meal.  I then use the last drops of lemon, or even the pulp, to clean the kitchen counters.  Lemon juice is said to deter ants (they don't like lemon, cinnamon, nor mint), it disinfects, creates a lovely shine, and smells delicious.  The rind then goes in the compost.  Compost goes in garden.  The cycle continues.

Invite helpful bugs to the garden, deter bugs from home
So maybe the line is more distinct here, but still a symbiosis from garden to home proper.  I have mint planted in several pots.  Always plant mint in pots!  It is INVASIVE!  Even if you love mint (I love mint) you don't love it that much!  Seriously!

Mint, like many herbs and flowers, is a great plant to have near your vegetables (again, in a pot!).  The scent of many of these herbs will deter aphids or insects that like to nibble on your grub.  Alternately, many herbs (specifically lavender, rosemary, and basil) will attract beneficial insects like bees & butterflies.

Plenty of fresh sprigs find their way into tea.  Other sprigs get dried out to brew iced Moroccan mint tea.  Many sprigs find their ways into the corners of rooms.  Mint is another scent said to put off fleas, ants, and other insects that sometimes settle into the home.  It also gently scents the room.  When it begins to decompose, toss it in the compost.  And the cycle continues.

Infusions
Remember how helpful rosemary is in a vegetable garden?  It's beautiful, fragrant, a companion plant to many vegetables, and a fantastic accent to many savory dishes.  You can also take a few stalks and tie them to your shower head.  As the hot water and steam pour out, so does the aroma of rosemary.  You'll receive a rosemary rinse while creating an aromatherapy spa in your bathroom!  If you grow eucalyptus, this will also work well.

Decor
A garden tends to find it's way into vases on the kitchen table.  A lilac bloom can scent your bedroom for weeks.  We like to put fresh herbs in the kitchen and dining room as well.  Whenever we bake a pizza we put a vase of basil as the centerpiece.  The leaves are lovely, it scents the room (though the pizza does a fair job of that too), and we have easy pickings for pizza garnish!

The list goes on and on.  The more you find pleasure in the plants and land surrounding you, the more you're compelled to tend to its health.  Let your life and your surroundings feed your joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment